Wednesday, February 17, 2010

DISSONANCE PAPER

February 14, 2010

My dear readers,

As I have been considering what topic I'd choose for my final conference length paper, I have felt myself at something of a disadvantage. That disadvantage does not come so much from an inadequacy in the quality of our discussions as much as from my own unfamiliarity with most areas of composition theory. Granted, I took English 711 Studies in Language as a master’s student but honestly I am a neophyte when it comes to theory. In other words, even though I have read ahead in our book I do not have a huge theoretical background to draw on when trying to think of what topics might not only be of interest to me but also to others in the field of composition. In any case, here is what I have come up with. I considered several topics before settling on the one which will serve as the basis for my conference length paper.

When I first read the syllabus for this course and realized I would have to write this type of a paper I initially thought of a couple of topics in education that I absolutely hate. These are the Bell curve and standardized testing. Throughout my career as a student and an education undergrad, both of these topics were a source of much frustration and fascination with me. Both as a student and teacher I often felt stymied by both of them. I felt that they both pigeonholed both me and my students. For instance, when I was very young I was given a supposedly unbiased standardized test which labeled me mildly mentally retarded. It took several months for my family to prove that the contents of the test set me up to fail because they involved identifying objects that only a child that could walk normally would encounter regularly. Where would I be if my family had not fought as hard as they did for fair testing? For that reason I initially wanted to look at how student writing differs in grades when they are administered standardized tests and grades in which they are not.

Also, I want to explore if there were any alternative models to the Bell curve for measuring student progress. As far as the Bell curve, I have always considered it a sheer tool of convenience. In other words, if you lump everyone in the middle you don't have to pay much attention to those on either end. I say this having been on both of the extremes of the Bell curve. Along with being in special-education until the end of fourth grade, I was also in GATE (gifted and talented) from the start of sixth grade until graduating from high school. While in special-education I mostly felt neglected. I felt that the teachers didn't care about my intellectual development. In fact, several of them told me so. It was at that time in my life that I began doing the outside research and study that I continue to this day just to try to get the intellectual stimulation I didn't feel like I was getting the classroom.

You might think that once I got into GATE the situation would change but he didn't. Oh, sure, ostensibly I was treated better because I was "gifted" but it really meant no extra intellectual stimulation. The teachers in charge of the program are overworked and under funded. Therefore, nothing much ever came of the experience beyond being able to mention it on University applications. However, I quickly decided the topic could far too easily degenerate into a simple rant against standardized testing. Therefore, I moved on.

Secondly I thought about doing my paper on the idea of healing through writing. That resonated with me particularly because of my recent stint in the hospital and my subsequent desire to try to return to some semblance of normalcy in my life. However, the little research on the topic that I have had time to do shows me, that unless there is something I missed, healing through writing does not necessarily talk about what I want to talk about. The only examples I could find concerned cancer survivors. Now that's all well and good but I am not a cancer survivor, and since the paper is supposed to resonate with me that won't work.

And I considered doing something looking at the general topic of how and why orality has been marginalized in modern American society. For most of my life the physical act of writing has been difficult and painful for me. Oral communication, therefore, has usually been preferable. Unfortunately, I wasn't entirely sure what I could do with the topic other than trying to examine the differences in products produced with oral and written methods. Luckily, however, that basic idea led me to the topic that I feel confident I want to do my paper on.

Let me preface this by saying I have had next to no time to research and therefore my reading list is at this point nonexistent. That being said I would like to look at composition methods. In other words, what if any of the differences in text produced, say, with pen and paper, by typing manually, using talk and type software, and/or speaking into a tape recorder. I have no idea at this point what these differences might be or what they might entail I just know there must be some. Also the fact that one of my favorite poets, Allen Ginsberg, composed many of his later poems into a tape recorder and commented that he thought the method lent "something" to his verse interests me to try to discover what that "something", that I have also felt, might actually involve.

Thank you so much for your time,

James Altman

2 comments:

  1. I personally have not read anything about your proposed topic, but I certainly hope that you are able to find some research that focuses on this very subject. I am looking forward to hearing more about it as I believe this is a topic that definitely has some merit. I would be interested to know if you already have some presumptions about whether or not there is a difference between the methods of writing. If so, what are they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we talk of how people write, in terms of their process, the term used is generally “composing.” But that is very broad, as CompPile turns up 1,888 records. The terms “computer-assisted” or “computer-aided” in composition usually refers to “computer assisted grading,” as in how well do computers evaluate /score compositions. There are some early studies of how computer word processing influences student composing. The other route, of looking at how disability affects writing ability, in CompPile the keyword "disability" has 728 records. The perhaps older term “handicapped” has 28 results.

    As we discussed in class, you may have to look outside composition studies proper to find explanatory concepts that can help you understand your topic. It still seems like you are exploring the nexus of two concept spheres: on the one hand, “computer-” or “technology-assisted” composing and on the other “disability,” or composing processes of disabled students.

    Some further reading may help you articulate your topic. I pulled a few references from my search on CompPile using “disability” that seem in the ballpark (again, as preliminary reading that may help you articulate the boundaries of your subject). There is an article titled "Speech recognition technology and students with writing difficulties: Improving fluency" that seems related...:

    -Price, Margaret Accessing disability: A Nondisabled student works the hyphen 2007 College Composition and Communication 59.1
    -Carmichael, Stephen; Peg Alden The advantages of using electronic processes for commenting on and exchanging the written work of students with learning disabilities and/or AD/HD 2006 Composition Studies 34.2
    -Troia, Gary A. Writing instruction for students with learning disabilities 2005 In MacArthur, Charles A.; Steve Graham; Jill Fitzgerald (Eds.), Handbook of writing research; New York: Guilford Press
    -Berger, James Trauma without disability, disability without trauma: A disciplinary divide 2004 JAC: Journal of Advanced Composition 24.3
    -Lunsford Scott Seeking a rhetoric of the rhetoric of dis/abilities 2005 Rhetoric Review 24.3
    -Quinlan, T. Speech recognition technology and students with writing difficulties: Improving fluency 2004 Journal of Educational Psychology 96.2
    -Snyder, Sharon L.; Brenda Jo Brueggemann; Rosemarie Garland Thomson (Eds.), Disability studies: Enabling the humanities; New York: Modern Language Association of America 2002

    ReplyDelete